I am one of the few people in my entire extended family to graduate from high school.
I am one of less than a handful of people in my entire extended family to have graduated with a post-secondary degree and the ONLY one to have done it before 30.
I am the only person in my entire extended family to have graduated with two post-secondary degrees.
I am a trail blazer. I am a trail blazer because of the support and grounding of my family and community. Without that support and grounding, I would not have the formal education I do. I do not stand alone. I did not accomplish this on my own. My individual effort was made possibly because of communal effort.
1. Formal education has allowed me to normalise secondary and post-secondary education for my children, making it more likely that they will succeed in both.
For this, I thank my family and community.
2. Formal education makes it more difficult for settlers to discount and denigrate my opinions.
I have an obligation to use this power to advocate for my people.
3. Formal education has allowed me to earn a living far above the norm for most native peoples in Canada.
I have an obligation to contribute to my community in any way I can to ensure that others will also have this opportunity.
4. Formal education has allowed me to dispel any awe or fear I had of people in positions of power.
I have an obligation to deconstruct power and privilege so that my people will not feel awe or fear either.
5. Formal education has allowed me to see very clearly just how formal education can colonise and assimilate.
I have an obligation to resist this process, to remember where I come from, to not become vain with the belief that a formal education makes me better than others, and to not belittle myself and believe that a formal education makes me less native.
Formal education is a tool, and only one of many in my tool-kit. It is an important tool, but not all-important. It is not a tool one achieves alone, regardless of background. It is not something I believe should be taken for granted nor should it be denigrated. It is both a privilege and a hardship, in more ways than just financially.
- godoid reblogged this from ajna-aakhu
- godoid likes this
- cocksuckerjoe likes this
- pretti71 likes this
- epicureanerendira likes this
- krisbme reblogged this from ajna-aakhu
- artisansoulleader likes this
- sincerelybrittt likes this
- simply-being likes this
- tabarnakpat likes this
- birdstakemewithyou likes this
- allgoodevenwhenitfeelsstrange reblogged this from ajna-aakhu
- xclusivelyourz reblogged this from ajna-aakhu
- xclusivelyourz likes this
- allgoodevenwhenitfeelsstrange likes this
- ajna-aakhu reblogged this from daniellemertina
- theworldsafire reblogged this from apihtawikosisan
- kenrakenyakonkwe reblogged this from apihtawikosisan
- fillingthespaces likes this
- yamauzura likes this
- paralaluna likes this
- tsupertsundere likes this
- castillolaw likes this
- simplygarrison reblogged this from merakiandmelaninblooms
- denimoutfit likes this
- boomchakalaka likes this
- genuhhveeve reblogged this from daniellemertina
- free-bleed likes this
- brintty likes this
- disgirlslife reblogged this from coolcalmcommitted
- quiet-grrl likes this
- onsexualpaper likes this
- pennyhedge likes this
- cheecheefourchange likes this
- coolcalmcommitted reblogged this from merakiandmelaninblooms
- spencerjohn likes this
- heloiseagrippina likes this
- fearfullymade-locs likes this
- cronewardbound likes this
- princess-neville reblogged this from daniellemertina
- princess-neville likes this
- essceegee likes this
- essceegee reblogged this from merakiandmelaninblooms
- bpoppins reblogged this from apihtawikosisan
- stoicallyemotive likes this
- merakiandmelaninblooms reblogged this from daniellemertina
- wretchedoftheearth likes this
- lovelylavonn likes this
- daniellemertina likes this