What’s that? No honey, the fact that the okimâwastotin (that headdress worn by clueless hipster girls all the time) is generally reserved for males in Plains cultures is not sexist or patriarchal. You can stop trying to ‘save us from sexism’ thanks.
In fact, we were centuries ahead of you in the gender equality department. There are of course a great diversity of socio-political traditions in our various nations, but one thing comes through loud and clear…our women held positions of power. Not merely over hearth and home, but politically as well. In some nations, women run the roost, and this without denigrating or subjugating men (in case you were worried).
Centuries of racist and sexist interference by European powers has taken its toll. We do indeed face sexism in our communities, to an extent unthinkable before Contact. It is sadly the case that the oppressed often internalise their oppressor, and the oppressor for us has always been racist, and sexist.
To combat this, we look to our traditions, which are egalitarian. Where men and women are respected and venerated. We do not fumble towards equality as sameness, as so many settler feminists insist we should (in our context only, as they often recognise this is a ridiculous approach otherwise). We revive equity. We acknowledge different gender roles, and recognise that the female is not subservient in our cultures.
When we discuss ‘women’s power’ and ‘women’s roles’, you hear echoes of your history. But your history is not ours. Our history speaks proudly of the strength of our women and our men. Gender roles were not created in our societies to elevate men and turn women into chattel.
You settler women have much to overcome. Your history is fraught with inequality and abuses. I am sorry that you come from such twisted traditions.
Do not attempt to transplant your historical circumstances into our Nations. You have no idea what the headdress means in our cultures. To claim that the restrictions on who can wear it are ‘sexist’ merely highlights this ignorance…your inability to see outside your own cultural norms, outside your own sad, sexist cultural history.
Colonisers always believe they have the right to define reality, particularly for those they have colonised. What kind of feminist are you, when you take part in these inequalities of power, and proclaim for us the meaning of our own symbols and traditions?
In case you’re not sure, it makes you a racist feminist.
- nobrainslob likes this
- brillepetiteetoile likes this
- fauvette reblogged this from apihtawikosisan
- calyx likes this
- theladyhannibal likes this
- sniffybibble029 reblogged this from apihtawikosisan
- hollynhaunt reblogged this from karnythia
- coffeewhy reblogged this from notenoughsleep
- ninapedia likes this
- mattatoio likes this
- elkcuhs likes this
- exterus reblogged this from apihtawikosisan
- superhumanmoron likes this
- dapperqueer reblogged this from dapperqueer and added:
- jeffsgoldenbloom likes this
- quietrayn reblogged this from simbamane
- radioactiveredhead reblogged this from yabluko
- yabluko reblogged this from tinydragongina
- mynameisbyakuyatogami reblogged this from kawaiislutface
- mynameisbyakuyatogami likes this
- sigma-enigma reblogged this from shrineart
- rachaellikespink likes this
- native-detroiter likes this
- chickiedear likes this
- dulcemeow likes this
- acciomjollnir reblogged this from wassup-holmes
- calico-kat likes this
- gallifrey-jingoist reblogged this from wassup-holmes
- wassup-holmes reblogged this from oreobytes
- adailydoseofwallflower likes this
- ladysognatore likes this
- heathen-wolf reblogged this from oreobytes
- heathen-wolf likes this
- oreobytes reblogged this from thecouscousqueen and added:
- shudduplove likes this
- the-nomadic-writer reblogged this from lady-brown
- beatkin reblogged this from rune-midgarts
- oisel likes this
- yaaruin likes this
- otipemsiw reblogged this from apihtawikosisan
- littlethistlecake reblogged this from faysbook
- lordaardvark likes this
- thewindupnerdchronicle likes this
- tranqualizer likes this
- faysbook reblogged this from oppressedbrowngirlsdoingthings
- thunderousemotion reblogged this from thecouscousqueen
- ghostemmajane reblogged this from rattieprincess
- thewenders likes this
- ms-eeta-buffet reblogged this from rattieprincess