I’m so unable to cope with the fact that Lac Ste. Anne (Spirit Lake, God’s Lake), Lake Isle and Wabamun (Mirror Lake) are all unbelievably polluted now. This blue-green toxic algae shit is scary, but it’s been years since we could eat fish out of those lakes…and our grandfathers used to make their livings from those fish back in the day! Gone. Gone so that summer villages could spring up and spew their raw sewage into the waters, so that they can run their sea-dos and motor boats out there for shits and giggles, so that towns can spring up on our lands and take the best shore lots…so that industry thrives and power gets pumped.
The sad things is I know people who DO eat those fish, because they have to, because they need to supplement their food sources somehow.
Can’t even let our people walk into those waters right now during the most important time of the year for us. Can’t let them touch those waters because it will poison them.
When the fuck are we going to take our territories back and stop this shit?
- alder-knight likes this
- vermillionviridian likes this
- cuculine likes this
- ishkwaakiiwan likes this
- sipala likes this
- nock-knock reblogged this from ayiman and added:
- ayiman reblogged this from apihtawikosisan and added:
- ayiman likes this
- society18 reblogged this from apihtawikosisan
- ceeainthereforthat said: fuck I’m so mad and gutted I have spent summers and winters and tempestuous springtime on those lakes, I *learned to swim* in wabamun lake!
- fetusfiesta likes this
- worthless-art likes this
- lovewashername said: oi yoi. i don’t know specifics abt lakes but alone the toxicity in them generally is just terrifying indeed. and it’s like, how long have folk and communities been screaming that this WILL have dire consequences? i get mad tryna guess…
- auberginebreeze likes this
- apihtawikosisan posted this