I don’t say this lightly. I am not being hyperbolic. I seriously mean this.
This. is. hands. down. THE. best. movie. I. have. ever. seen. in. my. entire. life.
I have been waiting to see this movie ever since I first heard of it. If you aren’t familiar with the title, it’s essentially an alien invasion movie, where the aliens land in South London. The IMDb description says that “a teen gang defends their block” from these aliens, but I think they use the term ‘gang’ a little too liberally. Like fuck off.
(You have to understand though…sci-fi movies are my favourite. Only kung-fu flicks even come close, just so’s you understand where I’m coming from on this in case you dig more on films like Hotel Rwanda or City of God. You know, important but really depressing movies.)
No spoilers here, I wouldn’t ruin this for anyone. What to say? The main characters are young, poor, black…brave, fierce, intelligent…amazing.
I had so many moments during this movie where I almost had to pause it to shout out my joy, when a scenario unfolded in such a realistic manner, so unlike your typical Hollywood shite focused on white characters in white situations. I know it’s weird to call this ‘realistic’ in the context of an alien invasion movie…but the interactions throughout the story are so fucking spot on. This movie deals with race and class in an utterly effortless way, only once in a while coming out and addressing it directly.
Without giving too many details, the protagonists have to deal with the hostility and racism of the authorities on top of fighting for their lives. This is something that just doesn’t resonate the same way when it’s in a film about a white protagonist on-the-run-while-battling-something-scary where ‘a misunderstanding’ is the cause rather than systemic, institutionalised racism. Nor does the ending deviate from the deep context of where these kids come from.
I might have to do another post seriously going into all these gushy details, but later. After I’ve watched it a few more times. And I will, because there is just so much packed into this film. Of course, Racialicious has already done some amazing reviews (spoilers) which break it down perfectly.
This film is an absolutely brilliant example of the kinds of movies that can be made, and should be made more often. It was hilarious, sad, inspiring, gross, wonderful and immensely entertaining…and for once, it wasn’t incredibly alienating.
This is the first time, outside of movies made for indigenous peoples by indigenous peoples, that I’ve felt like a movie was made for me. I just can’t explain it any better than that, without writing you essays about what happens.
Watch this movie. You must.
- regina-and-the-dragons reblogged this from apihtawikosisan
- cockblocklock likes this
- fuckyeahattacktheblock reblogged this from apihtawikosisan
- nostalgic-day-dreams likes this
- kissesandchamomile likes this
- justpar likes this
- thegirlandherdog likes this
- astheshadowslovethecastle likes this
- wherearethesheep said: It was such a great film. I really enjoyed it. You hit all the right notes in your review as well.
- wherearethesheep reblogged this from apihtawikosisan and added:
- dumonchelledraws likes this
- la-chica-pelada likes this
- medusacascades likes this
- bezdan likes this
- frank-e-fighting-words said: I do hope that you write something more on it. As I also think the movie is amazing. There were a few things I found problematic about the film, but it was really good.
- zombwynne likes this
- frank-e-fighting-words likes this
- electricbounce likes this
- lovewashername said: WHERE CAN I WATCH IT????????????????????
- fruktlupes likes this
- apihtawikosisan posted this